Call Us: (1) 732-241-6606 - email: info@utchstud.com

Affordable Horse Racing Partnerships

Clocker GateOne of the most essential parts of our team is Clocker Gate, Gatha Artis, nicknamed Gate. Pictured with two-star selection, multiple stake winner R Betty Graybull. The $60,000 two-star purchase earned over $400,000. She finished 3rd in her debut at Saratoga. At the New Jersey racetracks his job is titled Timing Analyst (clocker), which involves timing horses as they train for upcoming races. During his years of clocking, he has have developed a fine eye for how a racehorse should move as an athlete and consider myself experienced in this field. He have been picking two-year-old winners for years as he has watched these young thoroughbreds mature into stakes winners and become top producers in the breeding industry.

With over 30 years’ experience Gate, clocks the two year old horses in training during the sale previews, and helps select a thoroughbred that looks athletic, shows soundness, quickness, and has good conformation (body structure). Gate uses his own clocked professional database per auction to help compare each two year old workout performance. His data includes workouts from Fasig-Tipton, Keeneland and OCALA, Breeders Sales.

Clocker Gate attends all the two-year old in training auctions.  He rates every single juvenile in the undertack show.  94% of the babies he watches do not make his cut.  The other roughly 6% he rates:

  • OK     = 90-92% grade
  • 1 Star = 93-95% grade
  • 2 Star = 96-97% grade
  • 3 Star =  97-98% grade (very rare)
  • 4 Star =  99% grade

The only horse I’m aware of he ever gave a 4 star rating was The Green Monkey who sold for $16,000,000 (no mistake in my zeroes), as an unraced two-year old.  Todd Pletcher trained him, however, he retired having never won a race.  So much for the price one pays as there’s never a correlation between the price one pays and ability.  My point is Gate knows talent.

Many who were who were at OBS last year and knew of Gate’s top rated horses watched in disbelief as over 65% of Gate’s horses won in their first or second try. 

Many went onto become major stake horses.  Some competed in the Kentucky Derby.  

Back to Top